Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Demon Steed of Denver


When is the last time you have been to DIA? The glowing red eyes of this Demonic stallion will follow you as you approach and pass it...more reminiscent of the mustang the Headless Horseman terrorized Sleepy Hollow with than a noble wild stallion of the western plains, this work of "art", which claimed the life of its creator, has become something of a controversy in the Front Range. The legendary nightmare has reached as far as the Wallstreet Journal's top stories page.
Alternate names to the Mustang have been “Bluecifer,” “Devil's Steed” and “Blue Devil Horse.” Sculptor Luis Jimenez died during the creation of the “Mustang” sculpture when it fell on him in his NM studio and completed by his two sons, prior to the 2008 unveiling.
I had a hard time believing the hype, until I drove past it one gloomy afternoon on a business trip to California. This thing is horrible, and I don't say that lightly. The eyes glowed red and seemed to follow me until I was well past it, almost to the terminal. My question to the people who approved it's placement there is....what the hell were you thinking? Have you guys been drug tested lately? You would have to be whacked out on meth in order to think that this should be the first and last thing that visitors see when in Denver.
I would encourage anyone who has seen (and been startled by) this atrocity to get involved in some organization to get rid of it. After all, New Jersey doesn't have a Devil (hockey team) greeting people who arrive at their airport, nor does New York City have a model of the Statue of Liberty with glowing eyes greeting people at La Guardia. This thing is ridiculous, and this should not be something that is allowed to exist merely because it is art. I'm sure that the ACLU will get involved if it does become an issue, but come on...don't let them destroy the concept of good taste either.

2 comments:

DKT said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it's a beautiful piece. And my daughter likes it, too so I have no problems. I think there are other things for people to be outraged about than a statue...

The Brilliant and charming Mr. D said...

You are right about the latter for sure...Beautiful? I guess it is in the eye of the beholder huh? BUT have you seen it at night? It's eyes burn red and follow you like one of those freaky Jesus paintings...