Monday, February 2, 2009

Buckethead/Paul Gilbert - one and the same?

As a fairly accomplished guitar player, I am not easily impressed by very many of the "new" generation of guitarists. I came across this backyard video from the infamous guitarist for Guns 'n' Roses..Buckethead..see if you can figure out why he is called that. After watching over and over and over, and pulling my hair out, I noticed that Senor Head looks an awful lot like the legendary Mr. Big guitarist, Paul Gilbert- especially with the way he cross-picks instead of sweeps on the fast runs. This is just a theory on my part, but it would be pretty ingenious of Mr. Gilbert to masquerade like this to play anything he wants, unnoticed. As a creative genius, I wouldn't put it past him....the first part of this solo is alot of noise, but suddenly at around 1:45 it becomes mind-blowing...how someone can play this well and make it look so boring- completely improvised, and completely AMAZING- I'd have to say one of the best guitarists of the last 15 years...

1 comment:

DKT said...

I just saw the new Mr. Big press photo and I don't think they are one in the same. But thanks for posting that - now I can throw my guitar away. I can't play it like that...

Mr. Big are back together for a tour of Japan - and probably Rocklahoma if you ask me. Now are you interested in a road trip?