Wednesday, September 24, 2008

top ten reasons why Eddie Van Halen is NOT the worlds greatest guitar player




#3 John Petrucci


I have to be real careful here, because my top three could have been completely different than I have decided. Each of these players has something unique about them that places them at #3, 2, and of course #1 on my list. I REALLY wanted to put John at number 1, but as you will see later, the next two have a certain quality that you have to be BORN with. In my opinion, as far as over-all playing is concerned, no one, and I mean NO ONE beats this man, John Petrucci. First of all, he is a graduate of the Julliard school of music. The list of world-famous musicians who attended this school are too numerous to list. Lets put it this way- maybe 1 player in every 10 symphonies in the WORLD are good enough to go to this school. John's ENTIRE BAND, Dream Theater, attended, and graduated from this school. They are the ULTIMATE alternative band, and this man is the pefect cross between "Dimebag" Darrel, Kirk Hammett, Alex Lifeson, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Lindsay Buckingham, and Yngwie Malmsteen. There is NO ONE who plays this perfect. If you can fast forward this video to the 2:12 mark, you will soon see what I am talking about, ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7ABxAcMdA....although the rest of the song is very much like Rush meets Metallica...I have been told that he is all technique. I disagree, in order to write poetry, you have to master the rudiments of the language, and THEN learn to express yourself, and in my opinion, there is no better guitar poet. Check out this unimaginable cover of Master of Puppets, from METALLICA. John Kills it like he's playing a Beach Boys song...the solo at about the 3:60 mark is incredible..Kurt wishes he played it this well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY1qYI3oY-0..a cool solo demonstration of one of his Dream Theater solos..I can't play past the 1st bar...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlR90VEKlY...and then of course, John playing Joe Satriani, WITH Joe Satriani. Always with me, Always with you...John comes in at about the 2:10 mark..and check out the expression on Satriani's face when they pan to him. It's not the best sound quality, but you get the point....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUYFLT2repo. Petrucci = the guitar god.

No comments: