Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Top Ten reasons why Eddie Van Halen is NOT the worlds greatest guitar player!



#4 John Norum

John was one of the most exiting and versatile guitarists to come out of the 80's. As the lead guitarist for the first and only Swedish megaband EUROPE, he has sold millions of albums world-wide, and released a few solo albums as well. His album "Total Control" was the first album I purchased that wasn't on vinyl, and I spent countless hours alone in my room after school making my fingers hate the day John Norum discovered the guitar. He has also recorded and toured the world with the legendary band DOKKEN. He was the first,and in my opinion, the best,guitarist to fill the shoes of guitar god George Lynch, (sorry Reb). He is also a regular guest on stage with Glenn Hughes and the L.A. Blues authority. Despite the death of melodic rock in the United States thanks to Nirvana, Europe are still a huge band in the rest of the western world, and have been pumping out albums for over 30 years now. For those of you who don't remember Europe, here is a reminder...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuayFYlMXt8.

Here is a video of John playing his solo live with Europe about a year ago..as you can see, he is not just a shred-master, but also fuses the blues and some Stevie Ray Vaughn leads into his solo performances...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siYhAAIKch4

And here, playing yet another style he is known for,layed back acousic- not too flashy, but very memorable and relaxing....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkn6rhss5I

2 comments:

DKT said...

As much as I like John Norum, I must politely disagree with having him on your list. You can't imply that he's a better player than EVH. That's just silly...

I might even prefer Kee Marcello's work in Europe, to be honest...

The Brilliant and charming Mr. D said...

john was my version of phil collen- not the best I could have put there, but in terms of who got me exited about learning to play- he is up there-although it ultmately got me nowhere