Thursday, November 20, 2008

Top 15 Albums that should be considered Classics (but for some reason aren't?!)

This next section I'm doing is going to highlight alot of obscure albums. Some of them are from bands you may know, and some of them aren't. For one reason or another, whether its because of the time they were released or because the band itself was too outside the mainstream,they produced an album that should be considered a classic (by popular standards, and not niche-lovers), but isn't. Take it for what it's worth, but alot of would-be legends have been passed over in the last few decades, for no logical reason other than no one bought the album?! Feel free to add your own comments to this- I have pretty outside-the-mainstream tastes, and what I consider great, others say "what planet are you from?" So here you are...

#15 Fishbone, "Give a Monkey a Brain and He'll Swear he's the Center of the Universe"




Fishbone is THE original alternative band,mixing all styles from punk,jazz,rock,and ska since the late 1970's. Their guitarist Kendall Jones was a jack of all trades when it came to musical styles, and this album represents some of the most creative rock music around at the time....check out servitude... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0O1Gmm286E ...unfortunately, the song they are most famous for is a cover of another great band, Sublime...one of my all time favorites.
Fishbone produced an incredible version of the Sublime classic "Date Rape"
That version is not available to put on this site, so here is the live version- ok quality, but you get a good idea of how this band grooves....

2 comments:

DKT said...

I had to break out my ticket stubs, but I saw Fishbone with Biohazard and Kyuss at The Ogden on 3/29/94. It was a fun show, but Fishbone were too funky for the mainstream. They are great musicians but it all comes down to the songwriting. If you can't write a "hit," you might not make it to the big time.

The Brilliant and charming Mr. D said...

I remember that show myself! I didn't know you where there- they kind of remind me of an advanced chili peppers- they did have some marketable stuff though, like "lemon Merengue" and a few others from the mid-80's. I just thought this album was so well-rounded and experimental- It introduced me to the entire CONCEPT of alternative rock, and from there I got into things like Ministry and NIN...and plus, if Primus can make it...